61.And when they said, Moses, we cannot always bear one kind of food; pray then thy Lord to bring forth for us of what the earth grows, its green herbs, its cucumbers, its garlic, its lentils, and its onions.' Said he, 'Do ye ask what is meaner instead of what is best? Go down to Egypt, -- there is what ye ask.' Then were they smitten with abasement and poverty, and met with wrath from Allah. That was because they had misbelieved in Allah's signs and killed the prophets undeservedly; that was for that they were rebellious and had transgressed.
62. Verily, whether it be of those who believe, or those who are Jews or Christians or Sabaeans, whosoever believe in Allah and the last day and act aright, they have their reward at their Lord's hand, and there is no fear for them, nor shall they grieve.
63. And when we took a covenant with you and held the mountain over you; 'Accept what we have brought you with strong will, and bear in mind what is therein, haply ye yet may fear.'
64. Then did ye turn aside after this, and were it not for Allah's grace towards you and His mercy, ye would have been of those who lose.
65. Ye know too of those among you who transgressed upon the Sabbath, and we said, 'I Become ye apes, despised and spurned.'
66. Thus we made them an example unto those who stood before them, and those who should come after them, and a warning unto those who fear.
67. And when Moses said to his people, 'Allah bids you slaughter a cow,' they said, 'Art thou making a jest of us?' Said he, 'I seek refuge with Allah from being one of the unwise.'
68. They said, 'Then pray thy Lord for us to show us what she is to be.' He answered, 'He saith it is a cow, nor old, nor young, of middle age between the two; so do as ye are bid.'
69. They said, 'Pray now thy Lord to show us what her colour is to be.' He answered, 'He saith it is a dun cow, intensely dun, her colour delighting those who look upon her.'
70. Again they said, 'Pray thy Lord to show us what she is to be; for cows appear the same to us; then we, if Allah will, shall be guided.'